Today is National Potato Day. The potato is a versatile food source and contributes to so many favorite recipes worldwide and have been a popular part of diets for centuries.
Did you know that more than 45 billion pounds of potatoes are harvested in the U.S. each year? Have your potatoes your favorite way to celebrate National Potato Day! Here is one of my favorite recipes.
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (2 pound) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 4 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soup, sour cream, butter, dried onion flakes, and pepper. Stir in the hash browns and 1/2 the cheese. Pour into the prepared baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and top with crushed cornflakes.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.