I have another great recipe from Home & Family. This week they had Sophie Uliano prepare a healthy appetizer. Sophie is a New York Times best-selling author, healthy living advocate and green expert. You can watch Home & Family on the Hallmark Channel week days at 10 am ET/PT.
- 12 to 16 medium shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons grape seed or olive oil + 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 4 ounces tempeh, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 to 16 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the fenugreek seeds. Sauté for a minute. Then add the onion, garlic, and fennel. Sauté over a medium heat, constantly stirring, until the onion and fennel are soft. Next, add the tempeh and sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes. Stir in the tamari. Then add the pecans and breadcrumbs and sauté for another minute. Season well with sea salt and pepper.
3. Place 1 teaspoon olive oil into each mushroom. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the mushroom shells.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.